The Society of the Cincinnati
THE NORTH CAROLINA SOCIETY
OF THE CINCINNATI
The North Carolina Society was the eleventh constituent society to organize. Sixty former officers of the North Carolina Continental Line gathered for their first meeting in Hillsborough on October 23, 1783. They elected Brig. Gen. Jethro Sumner as their first president; Col. Thomas Clark, vice president; Chaplain Adam Boyd, secretary; and Lt. Col. Hardy Murfree, treasurer.
The Society of the Cincinnati is the nation's oldest patriotic organization, founded in 1783 by officers of the Continental Army and their French counterparts who served together in the American Revolution. Its mission is to promote knowledge and appreciation of the achievement of American independence and to foster fellowship among its members. Now a nonprofit educational organization devoted to the principles and ideals of its founders, the modern Society maintains its headquarters, library, and museum at Anderson House in Washington, D.C.
Anderson House, Washington, DC.
National Headquarters of the Society of the Cincinnati